Wednesday, March 23, 2011

War of 1812 - The burning of the White House

VICE ADMIRAL SIR ALEXANDER F. I. COCHRANE, R.N., to


FIRST SECRETARY OF THE ADMIRALTY JOHN W. CROKER

No. 98



Tonnant, in the Patuxent, 2nd. September 1814.



Sir,

I have the honor to acquaint you, for the information of my Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, of the proceedings of His Majestys combined Sea and Land forces since my arrival with the Fleet within the Capes of Virginia, and

I beg leave to offer my congratulations to their Lordships upon the successful termination of an Expedition in which the whole of the Enemy's Flotilla under Commodore Barney has been captured or destroyed--his Army, tho' greatly superior in number and strongly posted with Cannon, defeated at Bladensburg-- the City of Washington taken--the Capitol with all the public buildings, Military Arsenals, Dock Yard and the rest of their Naval Establishment, together with a vast quantity of Naval and Military Stores, a Frigate of the largest Class, ready to launch, and a Sloop of War afloat, either blown up or reduced to Ashes...

No comments:

Post a Comment